Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Days of School 2010

I have a second grader!  I think Thomas had typical first day butterflies, but was more excited than nervous. He seemed really eager to catch up with all of his buddies.  He has Mrs. Julander, the teacher that his friend Clayton had last year, so he felt like he already knew her.  We hear she is a fantastic teacher and we are looking forward to Thomas being challenged once again this year.  OUR challenge is dealing with the fact that Thomas seems to use up ALL of his good behavior at school and unleashes on me and the other kids when his gets home....not fun, but I guess it is better to have it that way than the other way around!
 

A big sign in the hallway of the kindergarten classes at CES says "Welcome Class of 2023"...WOW!  Lauren insisted on riding the bus the very first day of school and entered the classroom (where I met her with all of her supplies) with all of the confidence of a seasoned student.  I was, as I always am with our kids, feeling so glad that Lauren is independent and outgoing but also a little sad because she was not the least bit sad, wary or seeming to need me in any way.  I was comforted after school when she got off of the bus and I was treated to the biggest, tightest, longest hug that Lauren has ever given me.  The following is usually said of college graduates and such, but I truly feel that Lauren is "off to make her mark on the world".  Even in kindergarten she will be a force to be reckoned with.







It is Connor's turn to go to All Saints Lutheran Pre-school!  He asked me almost daily over the summer "does my preschool start today?".  He would point out the building every time we passed it while driving, and would tell anyone who'd listen that he was going to school and his teacher is Ms. Cathy.  I knew he was looking forward to going, but I thought maybe just maybe he would be a little hesitant to let me go on the first day.  Instead, Connor RAN into the classroom and said "Bye mom, you leave me at my school now!".  He plopped down on the carpet with his friends Caroline Kaplan and Sam Zortman and that was that.








Aaaaaaah (sigh).  Not sure if I am sighing in sadness that time is going by so quickly and we have started yet another school year, or relief that for a couple of mornings each week it will be just me and the twins at home.  Okay, yeah.....just two kids for a little while is going to be nice!  But this has always been one of the funniest things about parenthood (for me):  No matter how crazy they drive me, I absolutely miss them when they are not around!!  They are great kids if I do say so myself...mostly ;)...and I wish them all the best as they begin this school year.